11.10.2008

Bio

As a child I would sit for hours in the yellow light of our Vermont barn mesmerized by images I found in mountains of forgotten vintage magazines. I was fascinated by the timeless appeal of these idealistic illustrations and colorful advertisements, they seemed to mimic our family life in this charming small town. I was a young adult when we moved west to Colorado; an exciting new adventure with jutting purple ridges tearing through the skyline and ruthless mesas and canyons to explore. It was there I stumbled upon Time/Life publications and discovered, through photo journalism, I was able to share quiet moments as well as colossal events with the world. I went back in time and wanted for the future. I sobbed with fear and I laughed with tears at all that was humanity. I learned that throughout time and unaffected by change we remain universally connected by emotion, connected through imagery and art.

As an adult I have occupied many states and career’s... However, I have always felt my roots as an artist were formed here in Vermont. So, in hopes of relocating that magic, I returned here and found a barn to paint in. Little did I know how addicted I would become to the smell of Linseed oil and the ‘shi-shick’ of the shutter. I love capturing these little slices of life undistracted by the rest of the world. I am drawn to the texture of forgotten painted doors and windows using them to deify time and create a seepage through it. Collage allows me to use some of my many photo’s blended with paintings and other images to manifest something I could never realize of my own accord, creating a passage through dream and reality.

However, it is wrestling with the stubborn characteristics of oils that I am most satisfied - I see myself becoming an impressionist, using bold colors full of light hues and dark secrets. I still have many inspirations and I am not content playing with only one media; yet, it is remarkable to see a distinct and consistent palate as well as a surprising affinity toward abstraction. I never imagined this would be my progression but the paint and I have come to an understanding, I paint to the best of my ability then let go..... and there is that magic. Granted, sometimes the most I create is a swampy grey mess to roll my fingers through, but when it does work - it is the most unexplainable and gratifying feeling.

Welcome in!

Christa Mans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

***